ux work for uber

Coverage: Out of the Arcade: Designing the Uber Kiosk

As Uber's Innovation Lab design intern, one of my main projects included designing a new administrative dashboard. One of the biggest challenges I faced throughout the design process was selecting the proper datasets to visualize and display. I needed to surface the most important information that was either previously tracked in Excel spreadsheets or that had not been documented before. Choosing the proper data visualization was a critical component of this dashboard. I wanted to design a dashboard that the user would be able to quickly scan and absorb the most important information. The version you see below is the product of several iterations, includes designs that incorporate required data and remains on brand. 

You can also play with a working prototype here.

Home screen option 2.png

Process

This dashboard was designed for internal users to manage and track analytics related to new driver onboarding programs. I was designing a new product that had never existed before and in order to design a useful product, understanding their needs and problems were critical. I had to synthesize, organize, and reframe both the user's and the stakeholder's requirements. I did this through:

  1. User research
  2. Holding weekly meetings with each stakeholder
  3. Incorporating feedback into meeting notes
  4. Creating a product roadmap to share with the team

After synthesizing this information, I began sketching and creating basic wireframes.

Once the constraints were outlined and the functionalities finalized, I moved over to Sketch where I began to create higher fidelity prototypes. Throughout this process, I maintained constant communication with the product and engineering teams to keep everyone up-to-date on the status of the project and to troubleshoot any issues. I also used this time to improve the overall UX and UI by eliminating extra clicks, creating a more concise site navigation, and by reducing the overall amount of content on each page. After eliminating content, I then also designed the page to feel more sleek, modern, and lightweight. 

I spent several weeks designing the dashboard so that it was on brand, accomplished what the users and the stakeholders needed while also staying within the design constraints of the product. The final deliverable is what you can see and play with here.

challenges

The biggest test for a product is to test its resiliency when it hits reality.

As we all know, the design process is never straight-forward nor does it come without its challenges. For this particular design, there were no data-related problems like data latency or data pipelines failures. Instead, the challenges stemmed from existing datasets which lived in Excel spreadsheets and from collaborating across several teams to ensure that value could be derived from this product for each team. Because the datasets either weren't being tracked or were updated slowly over time in spreadsheets, I had to ensure that the most valuable information was surfaced in this dashboard. What's more, because the teams involved in this project were spread across the country, we had to overcome collaboration barriers like the transfer of information to correct parties. What solved most of these issues was stepping back and properly diagnosing the challenges. First, I noticed that metric data was being collected and that it was being organized methodically and efficiently. This was a great thing. However, once this was done it wasn't being shared with each team or stakeholder. This was a not so great thing. Once I realized this, I set up several meetings with the different groups involved to communicate goals and expectations for the dashboard. These meetings surfaced knowledge gaps that were easily bridged with a meeting or two. After ensuring that each team was on the same page with regards to features, expectations, and design, we were able to align our goals and priorities. At this point, I was able to confidently synthesize the information so that I could begin further iterations on my dashboard designs. With a better understanding of the users' needs, the stakeholders' goals, and the future of this project, I was able to design an architecture that was durable and scalable and also accomplished everyone's goals.

 

 

 

branding work for uber

Another project included creating brand assets for the Innovation Team. Below is the email template banner we designed which is now used in email communications across Uber's organization of over 12,000 employees. 

Innovation Team Rebrand.png
 

 

We were also tasked with creating brand assets for the Technology Services team. Here, we drew inspiration from circuit boards and the busy streets of an urban city. By combining these two ideas together, we created the banner you see below. It represents how the Technology Services team connects and supports every corner of the organization from one centralized location. This image is featured on television screens across the company and it was also adapted for a screensaver and desktop wallpaper.

Banner + Logo.png
 

 

One of my final projects included designing a business card for one of Uber's internal campaigns. These cards will be distributed to Uber employees across the United States.

Business Card 2.png